Our first purchase was a pretty piece of Crococite. Andy liked it because it was from Australia and he thought the name sounded like Crocodile....which made him think of the movie Crocodile Dundee.
The next find was a little piece of Sulfur. I have been looking for a nice (and inexpensive) Sulfur specimen for the past two years. So I was very happy to pick this one up for only $17!!
This was our big find of the 2010 Tucson Gem & Mineral Show. Andy and I both fell in love with Cavansite four years ago when we saw an awesome $5k specimen at our first show. Now obviously we can't afford anything quite so lavish, but we have been on the hunt for a nice and reasonably priced piece of Cavansite for the passt four years. Today we were finally able to pick one up. We are thrilled to add this one to our collection!
Here are a few other rocks and minerals that were added to my collection at Christmas time, that I have yet to share with you here on the blog.
These first two are gifts from Andy's parents. This is a pretty piece of Petrified Wood. And the next is a piece of Brazilian Agate. Aren't they nice?
Now these two are gifts from my father. I helped him pick these out at a neat little mineral shop in Portland. The first is a huge smoky quartz. I don't think I have ever seen such a large and nicely shaped piece of smoky quartz anywhere before. And the color is very dark, which I really liked.
This one is called Titanium Quartz. I thought this was the most unique thing I have seen. I doubt that it is 100% natural, but I haven't taken the time to look it up on the internet to find out for certain. According to the tag at the rock shop, the specimen is from a mine in Arkansas though. The colors are very brilliant and metallic. It is really something that should be viewed in person to do it justice.
Anyways, we had a good time at the show, despite Lincoln having a nasty nasty cold. At one point we were able to get him from inside one of the shops to outside on the pavement before he puked up his bottle from coughing so hard (much to the relief of the shop owner, I am sure). :) So it was a successful day all around.






No comments:
Post a Comment