Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A pound of flesh

That is how much baby June weighs now! I went in for a routine 22wk check-up earlier today, and Dr. B could not find the fetal heartbeat with the Doppler. Luckily, I had my hands full with a cranky Lincoln, so I didn't have more than a moment to think about what this could mean. Dr. B went out to get their portable ultrasound machine, saying that she thinks everything is fine, but she is gonna do a quick scan just to make sure. She puts the wand on my belly and immediately lets out a huge sigh of relief saying, "There is the heartbeat!" Apparently, she was actually very worried. She said that she was surprised that she was even more worried than I was. And she said "I just couldn't do that today." I interpreted the "that" as breaking the news that my baby had died in the womb the day before Thanksgiving. She went on to say that doctors get a little jumpy when dealing with someone who has a "history" (meaning a child with a genetic condition and 2 miscarriages, I guess), I kinda laughed and told her that she wasn't the only nervous one...


I then went on to express some of my concerns about baby June's measurements in the past, and some of her profile shots which seemed a little odd looking. So she said that while she had the ultrasound machine, she would just go ahead and do a full scan. Everything looked good. She was measuring exactly where she should be based on my ovulation date (with an EDD of 4/2/09). So I am thinking that we will begin using that as my estimated due date again. I asked her (a couple of times) if it was okay that she was a couple of days behind, and Dr. B said that as long as she is consistent then everything is fine. The measurements can be off a week in either direction. Her measurements were; femur length; 21wks 6days, humerus length; 21wks 5days, tummy circ; 21wks 6days, and head circ; 21wks. She went on to say that since baby June is sitting breach right now, that that always results in small measurements of the head circ. so not to worry about that. And baby June currently tips the virtual estimated scales at exactly 1lb! I can't begin to tell you were the other 13lbs of weight gain have come from...maybe all the sweets cravings I have been having. ;)

Dr. B also got us our first semi-okay profile shot. And there was nothing weird looking there (thank goodness), baby June looks great! See for yourselves!



Our next appointment will be a long ways off due to the holidays. I won't be seeing Dr. B or June again until Jan 13th, 2010! This will be the longest span of time throughout the whole pregnancy that I will go w/o a doctor's checkup of some sort. It makes me kinda nervous, but there is no reason to expect that anything will happen in that amount of time. And I will be busy with visiting our families for the holidays, so I am sure that the time will fly by!

The next appointment will be a busy one. We will be doing another growth ultrasound to check, one last time, on baby June's growth, to make sure that things are looking as they should. We will be doing the first of our cervical length checks to make sure that my cervix is staying long and closed. I will be getting the lab orders to do the glucose screening test to check for gestational diabetes. And after this appointment, I will be about 29 weeks along, so I will start going in to see the doctor every other week! I remember that at that point in my pregnancy with Lincoln, time really picked up and started speeding by. Before we know it, we will be welcoming June into the world! We are so excited (and petrified) by this prospect!

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online