Friday, August 21, 2009

Cardiac Holter Monitor

I know I promised a post about Spider Cave, but something more important came up in the mean time. Today Linc had his 3rd ever cardiologist appt. The other 2 previous appts consisted only of a heart u/s looking for Rhabdomyomas. They did another u/s this time, which still showed a perfectly normal looking heart. However, this was the first time they did an EKG, and it showed some premature ventricular contractions. Normal people get these a couple of times per day. Linc had 2 in 5 minutes. The doctor said that this could just be normal for him, or it could be a microscopic tuber in his heart that is sending out extra electrical currents, basically causing seizure activity in his heart.

Next week we will be doing a 24 hour Holter monitor study to see if he has any runs of these premature ventricular contractions. If he does, we will be adding a cardiac medicine to his regime of anti-seizure meds. This would make a total of 4-5 medications, given 2 times each day. Not the worst thing, but definitely not something I am hoping for. I hate needing to drug him up so much. I don't even know what he is like without the meds, because he has been on at least 1 med. since he was 5 weeks old.

Ugh. We would love to catch a break here. Our little guy sure deserves one. It would be great if you can spare any good thoughts for him. Thanks!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Tina.... SOB... Ugh.

I hope everything with the study goes as great as it possibly can. I'm sorry there just always seems to be one thing after another.

Mega thoughts your way.

<3

The Ottingers said...

You guys are in our thoughts and prayers daily!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online