Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Ketogenic Diet

is a go.

We will be having our first consult with the dietician Jan 25th. It will take several pre-appointments to get his calories, meal plans, and fat:carbs:protein ratios worked out. I am pretty nervous about actually managing his diet...but pretty excited about the possibilty of this working for him. I actually have hope again...it has been a long time (last April) since I have had any real hope of him being seizure-free. I am scared of the negative impacts this diet may have on his growth & development, as well as our home-life...but the possible gains, if the diet is successful, are huge! If he were to become seizure-free, I can't even begin to imagine what new things he might have the chance to learn!

I am very nervous that I am setting myself up for heartbreak when this diet turns out to be unsuccessful...or unmanageable for some other reason. I have so many "what-if" thoughts running through my head, but the hope & excitement remain.

We will be on the diet for at least 30 days. If there is no improvement at the end of 30-days then we will reassess. If there is improvement, then the minimum length of time to remain on the diet is recommended to be 2 years. I can't even imagine a course of treatment that lasts so long! He would be almost 5 years old before he could have soda or eat mac n' cheese again (his current favorites)! :( The thought of depriving him of these foods makes me cry, but the possibility of success is so much more powerful & important to me...and to him. Our neuro says that some people remain on the diet indefinitely throughout childhood. One of his patients has been on it for 17 years! I really don't know if we have the commitment for that, but I do think that 2 years and possibly a bit longer if necessary, can be done. I hope.

3 comments:

Beth said...

good luck Tina (and Lincoln!)

i know the ketogenic diet is much more difficult, but when we had to change E's diet i thought it would be horribly difficult. turns out once you get into a routine and they get used to it, it isn't so bad after all. i hope Lincoln does really well with the change!

GL

Jamie O said...

We'll keep everything crossed in hopes that this works for Lincoln and the adjustment is as stress-free as possible. Thinking about you guys!

~The Ottingers

Anonymous said...

Good luck to all of you. I hope the hard work results in wonderful new doors opening for Lincoln and the whole family.

RT

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online